Monday, January 23, 2006


This is the damage done by beavers along most waterways in Canada. Even in the heart of the city. These trees are big around as you can stretch your arms and they're chewed through in a few days. Then once they're munched into manageable bits the beavers drag the pieces to their dams and build these massive homes.

This is why you'll see lots of trees with wire mesh "girdles" around their trunks. To protect them from hordes of ravenning, toothy beasts. .. Ok, they're cute as heck, but still..  Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt Wagner said...

Anne, have you ever heard of beavers getting killed by the trees they chewed? I wonder whether this happens from time to time. Or is every beaver intelligent enough to be on the right side when the tree falls ...?

11:55 a.m.  
Blogger Anne said...

Hi Matt

Good question! I never thought of that. I've never seen any dead beavers around, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen! I'll be thinking of that question whenever I go down there now!

Anne

4:51 p.m.  
Blogger Matt Wagner said...

Fine. I'm sure if you find one we'll see the picture here.

4:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home