Sunday, August 26, 2007

moments


moments
Originally uploaded by torontofotobug.

This is one of those moments that stick in your mind. I guess, being a photographer, some of my moments are preserved. My mom had asked me to bring some of my portfolio to the nursing home to show my dad. He was a professional photographer when I was growing up and is the reason I do what I do today. The Alzheimer disease had already sucked all the life out of him, along with any memories. He didn't know who any of us were. I felt stupid giving him the photos to look at. He studied this one for a while and then closed his eyes. I don't know what I was trying to do anyway, since he couldn't speak, and I don't know where this story is going.. I just stumbled across the photo while cleaning up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alzheimers is such a cruel disease,..THE LONG GOODBYE they call it. Your kindness is not wasted. Your father senses your love and caring. So does your mom. I wish I had some words of comfort for you.loosing a parent to this illness is so heartbreaking.BUT you are making a difference...Perhaps your MOMENTSs together, and moments of remembering the better times, and sharing this burden with your MOTHER,Being there for her too.Perhaps there is some comfort there.Cherish the good.Please take good care of yourself.My heart goes out to you.(PS The movie adaptation of the book ONE MORE DAY, WIll be on TV ABC, SUN DEC 9. Try TO WATCH/READ IT.)

5:14 p.m.  
Blogger maggiesboy said...

I heard a story on NPR (you know the American radio network that doesn't follow NASCAR) about a man who has Alzheimers. It runs in his family. He lost both his parents to it, and now in his mid 40's, he's been diagnosed. He said even when he is overcome with the disease, he still "knows". I have to believe your dad knew too just what he was holding when you gave him those pics.

7:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home